Serves 6 / Preparation 45mins / Cooking 3hrs 30mins
- Beef brisket
- 2 kg Beef brisket
- 6 Chipotle Chilli’s smoked tinned jalapeno chillies
- 1 Clove Garlic chopped
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup Lime juice from 2 1/2 limes
- 400 g canned Tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons dried wild Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Hot chilli sauce
- 6 habanero Chilli’s or 8-10 very hot chillies. Remove seeds for a milder flavour.
- 1 large Onion
- 400 g canned Tomatoes
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 10 spring onions thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 Green Capsicum finely chopped
- 1 Lime juice only
- Flour Tortilla stale
- Sunflower Oil
- Sour Cream
Puree marinade ingredients with 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a food processor, then transfer to a large shallow roasting dish. Gently score the brisket on both sides and coat with the marinade. Cover the dish with foil and place in fridge for at least 4 hours.
To cook the brisket place the dish, covered, into a medium low oven at 160 degrees and cook for three hours until very tender.
Once cooked shred the brisket and fry on a frying pan. Add the cooking liquor back to the meat to keep it moist.
Hot chilli sauce
To make the hot chilli sauce, combine ingredients with 1 tablespoons of salt in a pan. Bring to boil over medium high heat.
Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.
Cool slightly, then puree using a stick blender until smooth.
Combine the coriander, spring onions and capsicum in a bowl. Pour in juice and season with pepper.
Toast the tortillas in a hot oven until crisp. Break them into large mouth size pieces and top with the refried beef brisket, hot sauce, sour cream and coriander salsa.
As seen in the LifeStyle FOOD Channel production The Best In Australia. For more recipes from the series visit www.LifeStyleFOOD.com.au